[OE-core] GStreamer 0.10's future

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Thu May 8 15:11:44 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-08 16:48, Burton, Ross wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post but I want this to have a wide audience.
>
> For the 1.7 release I want to move GStreamer 0.10 from oe-core into
> meta-multimedia, and ensure everything in oe-core has ported to
> GStreamer 1.x.  GStreamer 0.10 is considered dead upstream and is
> unmaintained so we don't need to be shipping both versions anymore.
>
> Everyone in agreement?  Should I expect any hate mail over this?
>
> Ross

I suppose it wouldn't be possible to rename the recipes as well? It
would be cleaner to have them adopt the GStreamer 1.0 recipe naming
convention. So, for example, no more gst-plugins-bad_1.0.23.bb , but
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_1.0.23.bb for example.

I guess that this would break compatibility with some existing layers
that still use 0.10.