[OE-core] [yocto] [oe] GStreamer 0.10's future

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Fri May 9 19:22:27 UTC 2014

On 9 May 2014 16:19, Neuer User <auslands-kv at gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, it does, as long as you need QtMultimedia. Same applies to Qt5.
> There was a discussion on the Qt mailing list about moving to
> gstreamer1.0, but this seems to be rather some time in the future was my
> impression.

So Qt 5.3 won't have GStreamer 1.0 support.  The port is being done in
a branch so it's possible that it will land in Qt 5.4, which is due to
be released in the September/October timeframe.

One option would be to move GStreamer 0.10 into another layer, give
Qt4/Qt5 disabled-by-default GStreamer 0.10 options and hope that by
the time Yocto 1.7 is released, Qt5.4 with GStreamer 1.0 is also
released.  Even as someone who's rather keen on removing cruft from
oe-core that's a bit too eager for my liking.

Revised plan unless anyone has a better idea: in 1.7 we'll move
everything possible away from GStreamer 0.10 but keep 0.10 around
until the 1.8 cycle, and then revisit the Qt situation.

Ross