[OE-core] runqemu + dhcp server

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Nov 5 16:29:40 UTC 2014

Hi Patrick,

On 4 November 2014 08:09, Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly at intel.com> wrote:

> Recently I built a custom image which depended on a DHCP server to
> configure Ethernet. runqemu with tap for networking doesn't provide one
> at the moment, so ssh logins did not work.
>
> Instead of customizing images for runqemu, I think it would be better to
> adapt runqemu and uses images as on the target device. Attached two
> patches which work for me. Is that of interest for inclusion upstream?

I've long been of the opinion that runqemu needs the ability to setup a
DHCP/DNS server for the guest, as whilst you can special-case qemu machines
and hard-code the relevant network configuration it doesn't help with
testing.  That said, I'm not convinced that dhcpd+bind is the right way
forward, something like dnsmasq (currently in meta-networking) might be
quicker to build and more flexible in this environment.

I suppose more work is needed, in particular around how to enable or
> disable this feature. Patching the .bb files also leads to a (to me)
> strange QA error. See the comments in the patches for details.

This is likely due to bind using PACKAGES_prepend instead of PACKAGES =+
(=+ is prepend), which messes up the native.bbclass magic.

Ross