[OE-core] PR server import/export operation

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Nov 6 16:50:30 UTC 2014

All,

I am on poky/dylan and I have not yet changed to using the PR server.  There are some pieces of the PR server operation that I don't understand, and I want to confirm how certain aspects of the PR server work before I make the switch to make sure I don't make a mess of my builds.

I see that there is import/export functionality for the PR server ("bitbake-prserv-tool export" and "bitbake-prserv-tool import") for saving the PR server state.  However, I'm confused on how it works for independent build systems.

Example scenario:
1. I make some changes for a product release and build a new image.  I push all layer changes to our local Git repositories and store the resulting image and packages on our server.
2. I call "bitbake-prserv-tool export" and push the exported table to our local Git repository.
3. I tag our local Git repositories "v1.0" to mark the latest product release.
4. My hard drive crashes and I need to get a new one.  I get my computer back up and running and do a fresh clone of our local Git repositories and checkout "v1.0".
5. I call "bitbake-prserv-tool import" using the PR table from our local Git repository.
6. I do my initial image build, which pulls in all the source code and builds all packages for the first time.

My question is: will the package versions for all packages be the same after step 6 as they were after step 1?  Or will every PR get incremented by the PR server in step 6?  If so, is there an order to doing things so that I can get the PRs to match in step 1 and in step 6?

Regards,
Bryan