[OE-core] Moving llvm to oe-core?

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Nov 7 11:47:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I think it's fair to say that neither GCC nor LLVM are going away anytime
> soon, both having their respective niches.  Because of this I'm wondering if
> we should be adding LLVM to oe-core (taking the meta-oe recipes).  GCC will
> still be the cross-compiler used but LLVM will be available out of the box,
> for example the Gallium LLVM-based Mesa drivers can be enabled without
> requiring meta-oe.
>
> Anyone have thoughts/comments/objections?

I agree; I think it is a valuable addition and worth having it as it
is indeed becoming more and more commonly used.

Besides, having it enabled in our autobuilders will also greatly
improve code quality as LLVM is sometimes more picky than GCC. In
Debian the exercise of rebuilding the whole archive using LLVM has
been very useful and has identified several code issues which has been
(or are in the process of being) fixed. Also to add on that, I think
the sooner it is done the better so we can solve issues early on the
release cycle.