[OE-core] Need help building debug kernel alongside default kernel

Joshua Hernstrom joshua.hernstrom at ni.com
Wed Nov 12 18:05:56 UTC 2014

Hello,
I am trying to build and package a second kernel+modules (from the same source, but with a different kernel config) that is optimized for debugging. The end goal is to be able to easily switch to a debugging kernel through an 'opkg install' operation or something of similar ease.

I'm running into various problems using the example kernel recipe practices because it seems optimized (of course) for one kernel per image only.  Specifically, things like the naming convention on the kernel-module-* and kernel-firmware-* packages have been difficult to override cleanly and cause conflicts between my 'kernel' and 'kernel-dbg' recipes.

I did find this .inc file in the Angstrom project that is similar but not quite what I'm trying to do (and suggests that the packaging of the second kernel is problematic): https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/multi-kernel.inc

Has anyone needed to accomplish something similar and have any suggested approaches or ideas on how best to structure two related kernel recipes under the same image build?

Thank you,
Josh
--
Joshua Hernstrom