[OE-core] opkg/rpm inconsistencies in multilib image installations

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Nov 16 12:59:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-15 at 18:05 -0600, Peter A. Bigot wrote:
> On 11/15/2014 10:21 AM, Peter A. Bigot wrote:
> > tl;dr: multilib apparently defines its own root directory underneath
> > ${IMAGE_ROOT} which includes copies of /etc files like passwd that are
> > not known to pseudo.  opkg and rpm differ in whether useradd scripts
> > are run when a multilib package is installed, resulting in failures to
> > add users/groups during multilib install when using opkg because a
> > sanity check thinks they already exist because pseudo is looking
> > somewhere else.
>
> Actually, I'm going to retract this whole thing, since I'm now unable to
> reproduce any of the problems described here.  Possibly because of
> changes to the pseudo patches that fixed problems I thought were
> unrelated to this behavior.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

FWIW you are right in that the way multilib works with rpm is different
to ipk/deb, you can end up with two different rootfs directories which
are then reconciled. I do have some concerns about what would happen to
the passwd/group files in this scenario since they could easily become
out of sync. I suspect we'd have to create a pathological configuration
to manage that but its probably possible. I *think* the system would at
least error out if that pathological case occured.

That said, I suspect this problem exists before your patchset so isn't a
new issue.