[OE-core] opkg, opkg-config-base and opkg-collateral

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Nov 26 12:14:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-11-25 at 20:27 +0000, Paul Barker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know why the configuration files for opkg are split into
> opkg-config-base (containing just '/etc/opkg/arch.conf') and
> opkg-collateral (containing just '/etc/opkg/opkg.conf')? It looks like
> the split dates back to openembedded classic.
>
> If there isn't a good reason for this perhaps now would be a good time
> to merge all this back into the 'opkg' recipe and package. I'm happy
> to put the patch together, just checking if it sounds like a good idea
> before I do the work.

I think at least one of the above was intended to allow distro specific
package feeds to be preconfigured as as such belonged as a standalone
config file.

The architecture file is also machine specific, we wouldn't want opkg
itself rebuilding for every machine so that is probably why its
separate.

Three different things on the other hand seems excessive. We probably
could survive with some merhing with opkg and the remainder being
machine specific.