[OE-core] opkg, opkg-config-base and opkg-collateral

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Wed Nov 26 13:53:06 UTC 2014

On 26 November 2014 at 13:43, Mike Looijmans <mike.looijmans at topic.nl> wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 01:14 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2014-11-25 at 20:27 +0000, Paul Barker wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why the configuration files for opkg are split into
>>> opkg-config-base (containing just '/etc/opkg/arch.conf') and
>>> opkg-collateral (containing just '/etc/opkg/opkg.conf')? It looks like
>>> the split dates back to openembedded classic.
>>>
>>> If there isn't a good reason for this perhaps now would be a good time
>>> to merge all this back into the 'opkg' recipe and package. I'm happy
>>> to put the patch together, just checking if it sounds like a good idea
>>> before I do the work.
>
> It's only excessive in its default state. Once you have a proper
> distribution with an online feed, it makes perfect sense to have separate
> packages:
> - the opkg "core" files which are the same for everyone.
> - the machine-specific list of supported architectures (maybe extended with
> distro-specific extras)
> - the distro specific config files containing the location of the various
> feeds. These may also be machine specific, for example due to a package like
> Opera being only allowed to run on machines from a particular vendor.
>
> I for one would not want to see any of these three merged.

I saw this while writing my reply to Richard's email and I think I've
accounted for these comments in that reply. I've definitely had second
thoughts about merging all three together due to machine and distro
specific bits, but I think we can improve the split between different
packages and recipes.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk