[OE-core] Deployment for machine X will remove its results from machine Y's deploy dir

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Nov 27 16:21:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 16:17 +0100, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> If I understand correctly, having two "MACHINE" share the same
> MACHINE_ARCH (which is the case for several intel boards too), is not
> actually allowed?
>
> Because you get the same kernel/bootloader for different machines then.
> That's what I wanted, and that triggered me finding this issue.

Its a very good question. As things stand today, there is a one to one
mapping between MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE, the difference being the
removal of invalid characters for the package namespace. That implies
that no, its not allowed.

The intel boards you mention do something a little different, they
inject a new "arch" into the hierarchy and then several machines share
that common "arch".

I suspect the intel boards you mention do suffer from the issue you
mention in a related way and the fix may be to s/MACHINE/PACKAGE_ARCH/
in DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE as previously mentioned. The difference is I suspect
they deploy for the first machine built and then not for any other.
Nitin/Darren may be interested in checking into that.

> Please realize that the example is just an example. The actual problem
> I'm experiencing is with the kernel and bootloader!

Right, the allarch behaviour is an illustration but not the underlying
problem you need to resolve (although its related).