[OE-core] [BUG] Openssh not closing connections on service stop

Diego diego.ml at zoho.com
Thu Nov 27 17:06:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to share with you what I consider a bug.

I've generally noticed in my Linux experience that I get automatically
disconnected from an ssh session if the ssh host gets shutdown or rebooted
with the message:
Connection to x.y.w.z closed by remote host.
Connection to x.y.w.z closed.

This doesn't seem to happen on my OSes built on core-image-minimal with
openssh support.

Moreover I noticed that if I stop the ssh service:
# /etc/init.d/sshd stop
my ssh connections don't get dropped, I can continue using ssh session like
nothing happened. I can even see the connection process still up and running:
# ps | grep ssh
 1790 root      4568 S    /usr/sbin/sshd
 1848 root      4852 S    sshd: root at pts/0
 1886 root      2896 S    grep ssh
# /etc/init.d/sshd stop
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdstopped /usr/sbin/sshd (pid 1790)
.
# ps | grep ssh
 1848 root      4852 S    sshd: root at pts/0
 1894 root      2892 S    grep ssh

Isn't service termination supposed to stop all related connections at the same
time? Can anybody else reproduce (or not) this issue?

Bests,
Diego