[OE-core] Multiple issues building from dizzy or master

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Oct 7 16:21:06 UTC 2014

On 10/7/14, 10:24 AM, Lauren Post wrote:
> We've been trying for a few weeks to move all our builds to master (yesterday dizzy for poky which is the same) and been having random strange problems on multiple jenkins machines we do our daily builds on.  I talked to Otavio about it but wonder if we are missing something.    I'd appreciate any ideas.   We can build our kernel and uboot fine but when we try to build a more complex image with qt5 we have not succeeded any build since yesterday.
>
> As of today we are now getting errors in db compilation
> On both locally and on Jenkins we keep getting a db compile error as of today.
> ./db_cxx.h:59:22: fatal error: iostream.h: No such file or directory
>   #include <iostream.h>
>                        ^
> For last week we've been battling random gcc_runtime configure errors only on Jenkins machines.
>
> This is the configure error.
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... configure: error: Link tests are not allowed after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.

I hit this issue w/ Aarch64 builds, and the issue was that gcc linker definition
did not match the installed library path definition.

In the aarch64 case, the ld.so lives in '/lib', and everything else in the 'oe
libdir' (which if set to 'lib64') was causing issue.  I finally fixed it in my
local build by symlinking ld.so into both places.

(I realize this isn't likely on the same architecture, but I suspect the same
issue is possible here.  Basically the compiler and glibc are not synchronized
and are looking in different locations for their components.)

> As of yesterday morning, we are also having many unpack errors on many files
> that are disappearing from our downloads before unpack. The fetch is working but
> then when it unpacks the package has disappeared from downloads. I've seen this
> on multiple components (libx11, xproto, inputproto, util-linux). Seems to happen
> more often with rm_work set but I've seen it without it set.

I don't use rm_work myself.  But a few of my coworkers do.  The only place
they've hit an issue is on a specific CentOS based machine.  We've not been able
to track it down, but rm_work appeared to run BEFORE the final staging...

> I'd appreciate any ideas. The only one I can reproduce locally is the db
> error  above but the others seem to only happen on Jenkins machines. We have 4
> different Jenkins machines all of which can't build on the master branch but
> have built fine for months on daisy and dora branches.

There was a recent bug found that affect systems with 64-bit inodes.  Check if
you have that, you may need a 'pseudo' update... back porting from master should
be fine for older versions.  (Master was updated yesterday?)