[OE-core] Discussion about architecure of ptest-runner patch

Tudor Florea Tudor.Florea at enea.com
Sat Oct 25 00:56:55 UTC 2014

Hi,

The concept of ptest is to run the tests using the minimum possible appropriate resource of a target to be tested.
As per wiki page (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Ptest):
"One major point of ptest is to consolidate the output format of all tests into a single common format. The format selected is the automake "simple test" format
result: testname"
As per automake manual (http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Simple-Tests).
"The possible results (whose meanings should be clear from the previous Generalities about Testing) are PASS, FAIL, SKIP, XFAIL, XPASS and ERROR"
While I acknowledge that an automated mechanism to process and display the test results would be a nice piece of work for an automated testing framework,  I don't think that this belongs to ptest (ptest-runner).
The processing of the test results of an embedded tested device should not be done by the embedded device itself (inside ptest-runner in particular) but rather by the testing infrastructure (Jenkins? autobuild?) that eventually spawn ptest-runner.

The next steps to improve ptest is to provide parallelism (that is to run parallel-tests for each feature tested and  to run ptest for many feature in parallel). The work to be done to process the results (e.g. for a readable text format)  should take into consideration this aspect.

Regards,
  Tudor.