[OE-core] [oe] Style issue for recipes

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 5 09:11:53 UTC 2014

On Thursday 04 September 2014 15:12:02 Burton, Ross wrote:
> Quick question of style for the community to bikeshed on:  in the
> general case should recipes be split into foo_1.2.bb and foo.inc, or
> should they only split to bb/inc if there are multiple versions and
> generally there should just be foo_1.2.bb.
>
> Specifically I'm looking at the libunwind patch for oe-core (moving
> from meta-oe) which adds libunwind_1.1.bb and libunwind.inc.
> Personally I feel that splitting them up complicates packaging and
> should only be done if there's actually multiple versions being used.

I think the conclusion we've come to is let's not have inc files just for the
sake of having them; if we need to add them to share common functionality we
will, but as time goes on it may be appropriate to factor some of them out.
(Having said that I think it would cause more harm than good to go on a huge
spree and merge a load of them away, at least at this point.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton