[OE-core] bzImage not included in rootfs

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu Sep 11 18:44:14 UTC 2014

From:  Chiz Chikwendu <chiz.chikwendu at Haemonetics.com>
Date:  Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 5:08
To:  "Openembedded List (openembedded-core at lists.openembedded.org)"
<openembedded-core at lists.openembedded.org>
Cc:  Darren Hart <darren.hart at intel.com>
Subject:  bzImage not included in rootfs

>I am new to Openembedded (and yocto).

Hi Chiz,

For future reference, when sending email to public open source mailing
lists, it's a good idea to use plain text and avoid HTML. Some lists will
actually block all HTML email.

>I have built an image with poky build environment.
>
>I noticed that the kernel¹s bzImage is not included in the rootfs.
>
>How do I get the system to include ³bzImage² in the rootfs
>(boot/bzImage-)?
>
>I¹ve done some research, and I saw a note about setting the parameter:
>RDEPENDS_kernel-base = ³zImage²
>
>This should override the kernel settings and build the kernel into the
>rootfs. I tried it, however it is not working for me.
>
>Can anyone help?

The kernel image is installed in /boot by the "kernel-image" package. Most
images do not include this by default as many targets boot with the kernel
located on a separate system partition.

See the documentation for how to add new packages to existing image
recipes using variables like:

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "kernel-image"

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6.1/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky
-extend-customimage-localconf

--
Darren Hart