[OE-core] hash generation/PR service problem with xuser-account and other packages

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Tue Sep 23 12:07:47 UTC 2014

As i mentioned in another thread before we're investigating some problems related with package versions going backwards using a PR service.

Now i have some more information. But i'm not able to understand and fix the problem for myself.

Assume we have a clean workspace and i bitbake the xuser-account package with this command:

  MACHINE="foo" bitbake xuser-account

This generates these packages (the 207 comes from our PR service).

  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account-dbg_0.1-r0.207_all.ipk
  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account-dev_0.1-r0.207_all.ipk
  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account_0.1-r0.207_all.ipk

If i call the same bitbake command again, the same packages are generated. Fine!

Now i call:

  MACHINE="bar" bitbake xuser-account

The generated packages now get a new number from the PR server (so they have a different hash i believe).

  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account-dbg_0.1-r0.208_all.ipk
  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account-dev_0.1-r0.208_all.ipk
  tmp-eglibc/deploy/ipk/all/xuser-account_0.1-r0.208_all.ipk

But this package does not seem to be machine dependent!?

If the next build for machine foo is a clean build again (e.g. on our Jenkins continuous integration server which makes clean builds once a week) the PR service generated number wents back to 207 which results in:

  "ERROR: QA Issue: Package version for package xuser-account went backwards which would break package feeds"

Can someone confirm this behaviour?

Is this a bug? I think so.

Can someone give some details what went wrong here? Also after studying <http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#checksums> i was not able to fully understand the background, not to speak of fixing something.

BTW: We see the same behaviour for the cpufreq-tweaks, linux-firmware, run-postinsts, and some of our own packages.

Thanx for any help,
Steffen

PS: We're working on the daisy branches using Angstrom with some more own layers.

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058