[OE-core] update-alternatives setting problem in OE

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Thu Apr 23 08:14:56 UTC 2015

Hi All,

In OE, we have three providers for update-alternatives, dpkg, opkg-utils
and chkconfig.
We default to use the following setting in default-providers.inc.

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/update-alternatives ?= "opkg-utils"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/update-alternatives-native ?= "opkg-utils-native"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_update-alternatives ?= "update-alternatives-opkg"

The problem here is that *the above setting seems to be the only valid
setting in OE*.
If we change the provider, things don't build.
If we change the VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_update-alternatives setting, runtime
behaviours for 'update-alternatives' are not correct. Because there
three different update-alternatives use different databases.

I'm sending out this email to see if anyone ever encounters the same
problem.
I also checked the ref manual of Yocto, no related information or
warnings there.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi