[OE-core] Migration from dylan to daisy (and dizzy)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 18:17:02 UTC 2015

Dear OpenEmbedded Community,

I have been trying to migrate over from dylan to daisy (and dizzy,
fwiw), but my own kernel would not boot. It used to work just fine
with dylen. It is kernel 3.2 with our BSP changes on top of it, which
are unfortunately not upstream. Either way, dylan was using 4.7 and I
tried to build the kernel with gcc 4.8 from daisy and gcc 4.9 from
dizzy.

I suspect that it is a toolchain and/or kernel issue, definitely not
Yocto as I can reproduce this with some Linaro binaries for arm
gnueabi. Still, I hope that some may have some ideas while working in
scenarios like this?

Jtag with openocd and gdb shows the following backtrace, where
foo_map_io comes from our board description. As you can see it is
fundamentally broken as it gets stuck at the early register access,
even before printk could be used! I tried using early_prink by
enabling debug_ll, but it did not work out for me. Like I wrote, this
is a really early stage of the booting process.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? I would like to update our
Yocto, but it is becoming very difficult as I do not possess the
corresponding gcc and linux expertise, unfortunately. :(

Thank you in advance!

    (gdb) bt
    #0  0xc0016f40 in davinci_psc_config ()
    #1  0xc00164b8 in __clk_enable ()
    #2  0xc00165cc in clk_enable ()
    #3  0xc03aa8b0 in davinci_clk_init ()
    #4  0xc03ab2ec in davinci_common_init ()
    #5  0xc03ab52c in da850_init ()
    #6  0xc03ac360 in foo_map_io ()
    #7  0xc03aa2d4 in paging_init ()
    #8  0xc03a8640 in setup_arch ()