[OE-core] meta-gplv2? [Was Re: parted_1.8.6.bb: add parted that not GPLv3]

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Thu Aug 13 09:59:14 UTC 2015

* Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> [150812 16:50]:

> On 8/11/15 3:36 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:

> > Or more usefully, reboot it.  Philip, you're turning into Koen!  Alex, if
> > someone on this list asks what Poky is, 99% of the time they're trolling.  :)

> > The original and unanswered question was "should oe-core continue to maintain
> > GPLv2 recipes where upstream has moved to GPLv3 or should those recipes move to
> > a standalone layer" with various implied questions:

> > - If the v2 recipes move to a separate layer, who own/maintains/tests it?
> > - Should there be v2 recipes for every recipe that has moved to v3, or only (as
> > is now) the "more-core" recipes (currently YP tests that core-image-base builds
> > without GPLv3, nothing else more complicated)
> > - Should meta-gplv2 only contain recipes from oe-core, or all layers?  If other
> > layers decide to hold both v3 and v2 recipes (not that I'm aware any have), what
> > makes oe-core special?

> > I'm torn, Richard is torn.  Neither of those are useful to forming a decision.
> > Does anyone else have any *useful* feedback?

> Not sure how useful, but I can give what I remember as the history behind the
> GPLv2 work and my opinion as someone who has a lot of customers who don't want
> GPLv3 software on the target.

I'm basically agreeing with Mark, as quite often, customers want a
non-GPLv3 image (and this is one of the strong selling points during
training sessions on OpenEmbedded / Yocto Project, that we have the
INCOMPATIBLE_LICENSE option). And having that option, and testing it,
requires that we have at least enough for a core-image-minimal to be
built and deployed.

I'm also using non-GPLv3 builds internally, for the same reasons...

>From reading earlier discussions, when recipe updates are proposed,
which replaces GPLv2-versions with GPLv3-versions, there usually are a
few people complaining (if they notice the change).

> Originally when this work was proposed (keeping older GPLv2 software in oe-core)
> the decision was made to keep a small core set of components.  Things that the
> system wouldn't work without.  I.e. coreutils, util-linux, gettext, etc..  I
> believe the bar was set just above core-image-minimal.

> Anything more then a small (busybox or discrete component) filesystem can
> require GPLv3 and at that point it's up to others to figure out how they want to
> deal with it.

> So based on the original theory here, parted (GPLv2) is right on the edge of
> small system or not.  It wasn't originally included because were were not
> considering (embedded) systems that would have to be partition at runtime.  (I
> did much of the original scoping for GPLv2 components... so at least that is why
> I left it off the list.)

> (opinion part) That however doesn't mean we have to just reject this as being
> out of scope, but I think it does push this more toward the "not part of
> oe-core" side of things.

Sure, we need to revise that "core" part, and which of the components
are required in order to really state that we can support non-GPLv3
builds. Both as SW migrates from GPLv2 -> GPLv3, but also as HW and
system changes, as that might make new applications "really core".

> As someone who has a lot of customers that need non-GPLv2 components for various
> reasons, I would like an ecosystem for components above and beyond what is
> allowed into oe-core for contributed things like this older version of parted,
> but not concern is bit-rot.  If it's in oe-core, it's (generally) being used and
> tested and we get discussions like this... if it's shifted off into another
> layer, that layer needs a maintainer or it's going to fall away.

Yep, it's that part, the testing of non-GPLv3 builds that's so
attrictive to a lot of potential new-comers.

> So I honestly don't want to move any of the existing GPLv2 items out of oe-core
> at this time.. possibly someday, but not now.

I have to agree with Mark here; the GPLv2 components in oe-core should
really stay in core at this time. (And for quite some time)

> Additional (old) GPLv2 versions
> really should be able to go somewhere and be shared, but I don't have a good
> idea as to "where".  This is an opportunity for a new layer to focus on
> non-oe-core GPLv2 or possibly a layer as part of meta-openembedded.  (I'm not
> sure though Martin wants to take on that, even if it turns out to be minimal
> additional work.)

Sure, a meta-legacy or meta-gplv2 layer for the rest of non-core
applications and libraries would likely be a good idea. The main
question is as always, can we get enough to help maintain that stuff.

> (rant part)
> In the end for people who can't use GPLv3 for whatever reason, there really
> should be a coordinated effort to either update old versions of software (GPLv2)
> or simply replace the items with BSD/MIT or other appropriately sourced and
> licensed code.  I just don't see much coordination beyond oe-core (and the Yocto
> Project) for this kind of work -- and the most I'm willing to sign up for is to
> keep what we have functional for as long as my customers need it.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander