[OE-core] meta-gplv2? [Was Re: parted_1.8.6.bb: add parted that not GPLv3]

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:16:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11:11AM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 11:03 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:

> > > This would be a good time to remind us who the audience is for the gplv2
> > > recipes so we understand the amount of manpower behind their maintenance.
> > >
> > > My concern keeping then in core is that the commnunity who uses them
> > > will reduce over time and they will bitrot. If that happens, we should
> > > create a layer for them and remove them from core.
> >
> > It's still better to let them bitrot collectively in central layer than
> > every OE user with this requirement maintaining old GPLv2 recipes in own
> > layers and re-inventing the workarounds needed to build the rest of the
> > system with latest upstream layers.
>
> I don't think anyone is suggesting we just abandon the idea and force
> everyone to do this individually. The question is more about whether it
> still makes sense to have the GPLv2 recipes in OE-Core or a separate
> layer. It does also raise questions of scope, there are GPLv2 recipes
> which OE-Core doesn't have and are not part of its stated policy (e.g.
> screen being the current example).
>
> I do think its right to ask these questions although I'm still undecided
> about what the best solution is...

Is it still true that autobuilder cannot test different sets of layers
for different builds?

It would be nice to see meta-gplv2 as separate layer, but tested and
maintained as it is now inside oe-core (possibly with more help from
outside especially if we can move some other recipes there as well).
That way autobuilder can test meta-gplv2 layer only in non-GPLv3 builds
and people who don't mind having GPLv3 components don't need to see
"bit-rotten old versions" in proper oe-core.

I was suggesting the same for sato in OEDAM (core-image built without
meta-sato in one autobuilder job, then sato-image with meta-sato
included in separate job), but IIRC there were some autobuilder
limitations which prevented to use metadata layers like this (which
seems very sad).

Regards,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com