[OE-core] [RFC] Delete all .la files?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Dec 23 21:41:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

So I've just done an oe-core world build with my latest .la-killer class
enabled (
https://github.com/rossburton/meta-ross/blob/master/classes/wipe-la.bbclass)
and the results are pretty good.  Basically this class hooks onto
do_install and simply deletes every *.la file it can find in ${D}, with an
opt-out if required.  .la files can cause rebuild problems if directories
move around and are mostly pointless on Linux anyway, so they can just be
deleted.

One recipe (opensp-native) needs to opt out of the .la deletion as
openjade-native for <redacted> reasons explicitly expects .la files to be
installed.  Some other desktop distros already strip out .la files so I
wouldn't be surprised if there's a patch floating around to solve this.

One recipe fails to build (gcc-sanitizers) as it expects to have built its
own libstdc++ so the recipe just deletes the source and drops in symlinks
to the libraries in the sysroot.  Works, but is nasty.   I could either opt
gcc out of la removal, or improve the fixup to make it actually link to the
installed libraries.  Or, merge the sanitisers into the main gcc recipe, as
I can't recall why they're separate anyway.

Apart from that, my world build was successful.

So in the new year I plan on submitting a renamed version of this class to
oe-core and adding it to INHERIT_DISTRO.  Any comments?

Ross