[OE-core] Multiple recipes sharing the same source

Logan Buchy logan.buchy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 20:30:51 UTC 2015

Hi,

I've got a third-party SDK given to me by our SoC provider.  The SDK
contains
* Vanilla Linux kernel with a set of patches that adds drivers for SoC
peripherals
* Proprietary bootloader
* Proprietary binary libraries
* Proprietary firmware for on-chip peripherals
* A build system which compiles everything

This SDK comes a a big tarball.  Splitting the tarball into separate
tarballs is not desirable since this would need to be done every time the
provider issues an update (which comes as another big tarball).

What I have now is a recipe that compiles and installs the entire SDK,
which works alright but I am looking to split up the SDK into separate
packages with associated do_configure/do_compile/do_install tasks.  For
example, I would like to split this into packages that provide:
* virtual/kernel
* proprietary-binary-blob
* soc-kernel-drivers
* proprietary-firmware-blob

What I am wondering about is how would I go about writing multiple recipes
that share the same tarball without having bitbake untar it for each
recipe.  Is this even possible?  Are there any examples of packages that do
this?

My best guess about how to go about this would be to create a class which
defines a do_fetch/do_unpack routine and then for each package, inherit the
class and define custom do_configure/do_compile/do_install routines.

Am I going down the right path here?

Thanks,
Logan