[OE-core] how to (yuck) add arbitrary external files into an image?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Feb 22 08:55:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015, Sven Ebenfeld wrote:

> Am 22.02.2015 um 09:33 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
> >
> >   as much as this disturbs me, i was asked about the easiest way
> > to add arbitrary files scattered across the development host into
> > the final OE-generated image and, based on richard purdie's recent
> > clarification that *everything* that is listed in SRC_URI is
> > unloaded into WORKDIR, i suspect the easiest thing to do is create
> > a recipe where SRC_URI lists all of those files with "file:///",
> > and write an explicit install task that manually copies them, one
> > at a time, into their final location in D, yes?
> >
> >   i don't like this at all, but if it has to be done, is this at
> > least the "best" way to do it?
>
> I think the "best" way would be to create one recipe that collects
> these files and just installs them into $D. Then you could select
> this package in IMAGE_INSTALL as you described above.

  right ... isn't that what i was describing? or are you suggesting
some variation on that? i was envisioning a single recipe with a
SRC_URI loaded with "file:///" components.

> Another way is to use a ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND if you only need
> to do this for one image.

  ah, quite right, another simple option, thanks.

rday

p.s.  yes, i do understand that this is a tacky thing to do.
sometimes, you just need to do tacky.

                        http://crashcourse.ca