[OE-core] RFC: Further kernel build process changes?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Jan 7 21:20:12 UTC 2015

On 15-01-07 04:16 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-01-07 at 10:33 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:

<snip>

>> I¹m not clear on the separation of do_shared_workdir and do_install now...
>
> See above, this probably needs to change.
>
> The patch was really a test to see how badly a build would explode with
> separate source and builddir and whether the kernel build system can
> cope with three separate locations (source, build objects, module). From
> that perspective it passed in that I could build oprofile, perf and some
> kernel modules. From here we need a step back and to go through and do
> it "properly".

Agreed. I've queued all the known patches, and have proven that my
builds work with this applied with minor adaptations.

I've got a first pass through with the consolidation and some other
scribbles notes. I'll generate a topic branch and send it out when
it looks reasonably sane (but not complete .. since we don't want to
sit on large private changes).

Cheers,

Bruce