[OE-core] [yocto] Bug reporting and good bug reports

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 21:21:56 UTC 2015

On 01/07/15 04:25, Richard Purdie wrote:
> I also have a patch. Where should I share them? How do I ensure everyone
> with an interest in this defect actually gets the patch? Sure I can
> create email and send to the people who I think need to know.

When I went through that whole "let's add a MAINTAINERS file" thing last
year this is exactly what I had in mind at that time. A developer could
configure git to automatically invoke the script that accompanied that
patch during a "git send-email ...". The purpose of the script was to go
through the MAINTAINERS file to create a list of relevant people. But
the script was also smart enough to look at the lines of code the patch
was modifying and include the people who wrote the lines the patch was
going to modify.

Unfortunately everyone seemed to think a MAINTAINERS file was only good
for assigning responsibility, which is something that had never occurred
to me at the time :-)

> The
> bugzilla lets interested parties add themselves to bugs though.

...and people could add themselves as "R"'s in a MAINTAINERS file! :-)
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/MAINTAINERS#n73