[OE-core] [RFC] About GPLv2's native recipe

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Jan 23 16:24:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Robert Yang <liezhi.yang at windriver.com>
> wrote:
> > We have several GPLv2 recipes such as m4-native_1.4.9.bb, while we also
> > have GPLv3's m4-native_1.4.17.bb, I think that we can remove
> > m4-native_1.4.9.bb if the target m4_1.4.9.bb builds well ?
> >
> > I'd like to remove it because we don't build the lower native version by
> > default, and we don't know whether it works or when it would fail.
>
> I second this; not tested recipes are always good to remove.

The one case I'd be concerned with is where a native tool is used to
crosscompile something for the target, specifically in the case of
scripting tools which often have implicit dependency on the exact same
version, so it can parse what it needs to parse to build. Python for
example, I doubt you'd want to try to use 2.4 as part of the 2.7
crosscompilation process. m4 being a scripting language, that might be the
case here. Of course, if the language is compatible between the two
versions, maybe that's a non-issue.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com