[OE-core] meta-gplv2? [Was Re: parted_1.8.6.bb: add parted that not GPLv3]

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Thu Jul 30 12:06:39 UTC 2015

On 07/11/2015 10:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:

> This does touch on something I have wondered about for a while, which is
> whether the time has come to move the GPLv2 pieces to their own layer
> and possibly their own maintainership. Obviously there are pros and cons
> to doing that.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm all for that, which shouldn't be surprising :) The rationale is that
we need to keep the scope and breadth of oe-core sane and manageable.
The emphasis should be on having lesser amount of high quality,
up-to-date recipes than vice versa.

That means a continuous lookout for possible things to remove. Qt4 is
one such thing, old GPLv2 software is another.

Alex