[OE-core] [RFC] Add something like bitbake -cmenuconfig <recipe>?

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Jun 1 15:18:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Robert Yang <liezhi.yang at windriver.com>
wrote:

>> As Chris was suggesting I'd rather we look at setting up a type
>> declaration
>> mechanism (possibly at the bitbake level?) and make use of that rather
>> than
>> creating something just for this UI where possible.
>>

> A type declaration mechanism also sounds good, but I'm afraid that
> it would make a lot of changes embed in the bbclass or conf files,
> but the build system itself doesn't need these changes, I'm not sure
> whether it is worth or not, our aim is just make OE easier for newbies.

That’s not correct. Typing is useful to check the validity of values as
well as to simplify the creation of objects from strings in python code.
It’s not exclusively for a UI, that just happens to be an additional
benefit of using it.

I also agree with Paul, the knowledge of what variables should be visible
to the user in user interfaces should be held next to the variable
definitions in appropriate places, not a separate config file. A flag makes
a great deal of sense there. Specification of what variables we want the
user to be able to edit in the UI is really just a way of specifying which
variables are intended to be manipulated by the user, and this is valuable,
as it’d help the user know which variables are e.g. internal artifacts of
classes, not intended for them to modify. So while it’s used by a UI, I
don’t think that knowledge is specific to a UI either, necessarily.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com