[OE-core] Any "desktop" layers?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Fri Jun 26 07:40:52 UTC 2015

When asked, I always answer "sure, you could run something like Ubuntu on
these boards".

But then when someone asks the obvious next question: "Oh, nice, how do I do
that?" I usually suddenly remember that I had some very urgent business elsewhere.

So I'd like to forward this one to the list. There's plenty boards out there
now with big CPUs and supporting big screens and all. If I wanted to turn such
not-so-mainstream board into a real desktop, how does one do that?

It's really easy to find desktop distro's for Intel/AMD PCs. But once your
machine runs on ARM or MIPS, all you can find is some vague references, and if
you're really lucky, some binary blob that happens to run on a particular board.

The OE layers I could find, all seem to restrict themselves to small devices
with even smaller screens, and won't give you much more than a clunky music
player.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert