[OE-core] Verification on how TARGET_CFLAGS is set

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Mar 30 13:09:59 UTC 2015

I am about to upgrade to the dizzy branch.  I have a built a bootable image on my test build machine, and now I'm going to be applying changes to the system I use for building production images.  I'm planning on deleting my tmp directory to force a re-build of everything.  Since I'm rebuilding everything anyway, I'm taking a deeper look at the CFLAGS related settings and I'm getting a little lost in the logic.  I'd like to verify these settings before I start rebuilding everything.

If I'm following the default logic correctly in bitbake.conf, by default TARGET_CFLAGS will be set to "-O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types".  I want the default TARGET_CFLAGS for my production image to be "-O2 -pipe".  What's the suggested variable to change, and where, to get this final value?  Do I set TARGET_CFLAGS directly, or do I set SELECTED_OPTIMIZATIONS or even FULL_OPTIMIZATIONS?  Do I set it in local.conf or should I be setting it somewhere else?

Any other related tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Bryan Evenson