[OE-core] Verification on how TARGET_CFLAGS is set

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Mar 31 13:06:01 UTC 2015

On 31 March 2015 at 13:28, Bryan Evenson <bevenson at melinkcorp.com> wrote:

> Is that all that it is?  I was under the impression that adding -g adds
> the debug symbols to the executable, not just the hooks to include the
> debug symbols.  If the -g flag really does just add a few bytes to each
> executable, then I won't worry about it.

At build time it adds the full debug symbols to the executable, but at
packaging time we split out the debugging information to separate files and
then separate packages.  So the difference between a binary produced
without -g and with -g but with debug info split is just the identifiers so
that GDB can find the debug symbols.

Ross