[OE-core] Ownership issue in package contents

Mario Domenech Goulart mario at ossystems.com.br
Tue Mar 31 21:01:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:51:50 -0500 Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/15 3:33 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

>>> I'd suggest you look at meta/classes/package.bbclass "fixup_perms" function.
>>>
>>> The ${D}${libdir} (and above) are "corrected" to be 'root:root' by this
>>> function.  I don't know why 'foo' would be, but if it's a standard defined
>>> variable -- or if 'directory walking' is enabled it could end up doing this as well.
>>>
>>> The control file for this is in meta/files/fs-perms.txt (unless otherwise
>>> defined by a distribution or other configuration file.)
>>
>> Thanks a lot.  You seem to have guided me exactly to what causes the
>> issue.
>>

>>> Format of the file is:
>>>
>>> # The format of this file
>>> #
>>>
>>> The default is:
>>> libexecdir	0755 root root false - - -
>>
>> This variable seems to be the cause of problems:
>>
>> $ bitbake -e foo | grep libexecdir=
>> export libexecdir="/usr/lib/foo"
>>
>> As far as I understand, package.bbclass may use a user-configured
>> permissions table (via FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES), but I'm not sure if
>> this is the right "fix" for the case in question.  I'd have to hardcode
>> the owner of /usr/lib/foo to be "foo", but foo may not be available when
>> packaging other recipes.
>
> Ok, good this answers the question as to "why" it's happening.  You can easily
> fix this by adding a configuration specific fs-perms.txt file (can name it
> anything) that overrides that setting and add it to the FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES.
>  You can do this globally in a layer, a distribution or even just a recipe.
>
> In your recipe you can likely do something like:
>
> FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES ?= "files/fs-perms.txt"
> FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES += "${THISDIR}/files/recipe-perms.txt"
>
> (Do the ?= first in case it's already set by someone else, then add your recipe
> specific perms later)
>
> Contents of the "${THISDIR}/files/recipe-perms.txt":
>
> ${libexecdir} 0755 myuid mygid true - myuid mygid
>
> Then you can even skip the chown -R, as the system will do it for you.

I actually had tried that, but I got errors -- probably because the
ownership will be set for each package that installs ${libexecdir}, and
which is processed before the recipe that actually creates the
user/group specified for ${libexecdir} in the file pointed by
FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES.

>> Should libexecdir actually be in the `target_path_vars' variable
>> (package.bbclass)?
>
> That is a good question, and something likely worthy of investigating.  Perhaps
> removing it from the default set is the correct general purpose change.
>
> I wouldn't do it on an existing release, but its worth considering at the
> beginning of a new release.

Best wishes.
Mario
--