[OE-core] Changing external kernel module results in rebuild of whole kernel

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed May 6 06:35:13 UTC 2015

Something in recent OE-core triggered a weird dependency "backfire".

If I change a recipe for a kernel module (a bb recipe that does "inherit
module") this will trigger a rebuild of the whole kernel.

This turns the 5-second job of just updating a single module into a several
minute workout for the build machine, and then causes boards to re-write the
kernel into flash needlessly when upgrading.

I now see this on all projects using OE-core master. I can't really pin what
caused it though. Anyone else seen this?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products