[OE-core] KBUILD_DEFCONFIG issue

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:46:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:10 AM,  <Steffen.Pankratz at elektrobit.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am in the process of creating a board support package (1) for NVIDIAs Jetson TK1 board (2).
>
> In my kernel recipe I am using 'KBUILD_DEFCONFIG = "tegra_defconfig"' but the build failed always.
>
> I think the issue is in do_kernel_metadata (meta/classes/kernel-yocto.bbclass), if no defconfig exists, the config specified in KBUILD_DEFCONFIG is never copied.
> Attached you will find a possible patch for this issue.

The patch doesn't look quite right to me. It's going to inhibit an
in-tree config from being
copied out to the workdir when it is different than the defconfig that
is already sitting there.

The conditions that currently exist where for a specific use case, and
I can see that
having the else clause you are adding would be useful if there isn't
already a defconfig
on the SRC_URI (which is a different case then it was created do handle).

I can take your patch and stack it on my queue with a few changes, assuming that
is ok with you.

> Feedback is welcome.
>
> Another, probably unrelated problem I face right now is, that basically most of the options of the tegra_defconfig get removed by kconf_check.
> The kernel gets build, there are no warnings that things got removed but in the files in .meta/cfg/standard/jetson-tk1  I see for example:
>
> Value requested for CONFIG_ARCH_TEGRA_124_SOC not in final .config Requested value:  CONFIG_ARCH_TEGRA_124_SOC=y Actual value:
>
> Any ideas?

The checking of the defconfig is inhibited on purpose. I only added
the functionality
as an assist/crutch for folks that haven't migrated to a base config +
fragments.

A defconfig does not specify whether or not options are important for
the board or
not, whether or not it is a full defconfig or a minimal config, etc.
Without that
extra information generating screens full of warnings isn't useful, so
it isn't generated
at all.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Kind regards
> -Steffen
>
> (1) https://bitbucket.org/kratz00/meta-jetson-tk1/src
> (2) http://elinux.org/JetsonTK1
>
> --
> Steffen Pankratz
> Expert, Software Integration & Services
>
> EB - Driving the Future of Software
> Phone:  +49 9131 7701-6605
> Fax: +49 9131 7701 6333
> steffen.pankratz at elektrobit.com
> http://automotive.elektrobit.com/
> PGP-Key: http://keyserver.elektrobit.com/
>
> Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany Managing Directors Alexander Kocher, Gregor Zink Register Court Fürth HRB 488

> Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
> intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
> e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
> the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
> Thank you.
>

> --

thee at its end"