[OE-core] busybox: passwd: applet not found

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed May 20 14:42:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
<rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2015 at 15:48, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20 May 2015 at 13:55, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused why busybox passwd does not work with daisy. It
>>> used to work with dylan. When I try to use "busybox passwd", I am
>>> getting the following output:
>>>
>>>     passwd: applet not found
>>
>> is the password applet built?
>> Check your busybox .config.
>> Is passwd listed when you invoke plain busybox and have the help-text
>> printing turned on?
>>
>> Sometimes code around bsearch is miscompiled but this should not be
>> the case for your setup, i suppose.
>
> ah, the great suid / nosuid split ?
> try /bin/busybox.suid passwd instead, the default /bin/busybox
> supposedly points to the .nosuid binary.

Now that just breaks all the code that our software is using. Why did
this binary incompatible change sneak in, and especially: why without
any note in the migration guide? Furthermore, is there a way to
reverse this? I really would like to avoid rewriting my code just
because some other people think it is a cool change. Or is this change
absolutely necessary?