[OE-core] busybox: passwd: applet not found

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed May 20 15:20:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
<rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2015 at 17:09, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>>> Do as the documentation says in your distro and you have one scenario.
>>
>> That means compromising security. I am now looking for the ideal case
>> in the future. What is wrong about dropping the privileges in busybox
>> for undedicated processes without creating this separation?
>>
>> That would combine the convenience with security, wouldn't it?
>
> We already do that. Since June 2002. version 0.60.4

Then I cannot understand the incompatible change. If the privilege is
dropped early and the code is well-understood, then what exactly was
being solved in here for the price of incompatibility and more complex
environments across projects?

But in any case, if BUSYBOX_SPLIT_SUID=0 helps me with being
compatible while it still drops the privileges properly as intended by
busybox upstream, I guess I can go for that. I am yet to understand
the "certain users do not follow it" part. What exactly?