[OE-core] busybox: passwd: applet not found

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed May 20 15:48:39 UTC 2015

On May 20, 2015 5:36:55 PM GMT+02:00, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
><rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20 May 2015 at 17:20, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>scenario.

>case
>busybox

>>> Then I cannot understand the incompatible change. If the privilege
>is
>>> dropped early and the code is well-understood, then what exactly was
>>> being solved in here for the price of incompatibility and more
>complex
>>> environments across projects?
>>>
>>> But in any case, if BUSYBOX_SPLIT_SUID=0 helps me with being
>>> compatible while it still drops the privileges properly as intended
>by
>>> busybox upstream, I guess I can go for that. I am yet to understand
>>> the "certain users do not follow it" part. What exactly?
>>
>> Certain users don't want to risk bugs in the code before privs are
>dropped.
>> The only way to make them happy is to split the binary into two, a
>suid
>> one a a nosuid one.
>
>OK, well, in that case, the question is: why is it not led by busybox
>upstream? Currently, busybox downstream projects can call this
>anything. At least, some standard way would be nice, wouldn't it?

The logic where to split is upstream to attempt to have a stable, maintained interface at least.
I do not want 2 binaries myself. If there is an attack-vector in the part before dropping privileges then I want to have it fixed.

You can ask Denys if he wants to do the 2 binary nonsense upstream, but I will not commit such a thing, fwiw.