[OE-core] busybox: passwd: applet not found

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed May 20 16:11:08 UTC 2015

On May 20, 2015 5:58:32 PM GMT+02:00, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>Well, I understand and appreciate that opinions vary, but if busybox
>had shipped 3 binaries at the end of the build processes, then their
>naming would be "standard" led by busybox upstream. Currently, there
>is no way to standardize it if Yocto thinks it should be called
>busybox.suid and e.g. (imaginary example) buildroot thinks it should
>be called suid.busybox. This would be less than ideal if my software
>has to work with both.

If you can then I'd set PREFER_APPLETS and use busybox hush or busybox ash as /bin/sh with one binary and thus avoid the whole filesystem roundtrip penalties.

At least that is what one normally does anyway and which works satisfactorily in a lot if setups.

Anyway, good to see it's not a busybox or compiler bug so all is well as far as I'm concerned.

thanks,