[OE-core] [RFC] Remove vala from oe-core

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Nov 10 15:10:17 UTC 2015

On 10 November 2015 at 15:06, Alexander Kanavin <
alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> I should clarify: there might be Vala software out there that someone
> would want to run in an embedded context. And that software might require
> Vala bindings for libraries that are in oe-core. If we don't provide those
> bindings, then either the layer that adds vala recipe also has to patch all
> of our oe-core recipes, or (worse!) the person who needs something
> vala-based also has to ad-hoc-patch the dependency recipes of that.

One solution for no vala in oe-core would be for all vala-supporting
recipes in oe-core to have a PACKAGECONFIG[vala], so if someone does want
Vala then they just need to add meta-vala (for example) to their layers and
enable the PACKAGECONFIGs where they want it enabled.  There's plenty of
prior art for this behaviour in oe-core already.

Ross