[OE-core] Lots of [host-user-contaminated] warning

Max Krummenacher max.oss.09 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:02:50 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas

Am Dienstag, den 17.11.2015, 09:46 +0100 schrieb Andreas Müller:
> Hi,
>
> this bugs me for a while and I wonder if I am again the only one
> facing this: I get floods of warnings for sourcecode files as
>
> WARNING: QA Issue: qtserialport:
> /qtserialport-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtserialport/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
+gitAUTOINC+2575d33fab-r0/git/src/serialport/qserialport_p.h
> is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
> This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
> WARNING: QA Issue: qtx11extras:
> /qtx11extras-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtx11extras/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
+gitAUTOINC+d64ee96f0d-r0/git/src/x11extras/qx11info_x11.cpp
> is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
> This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
> WARNING: QA Issue: qtxmlpatterns:
> /qtxmlpatterns-dbg/usr/src/debug/qtxmlpatterns/5.5.99+5.6.0-alpha1
+gitAUTOINC+94136d4280-r0/git/src/xmlpatterns/type/qbuiltintypes.cpp
> is owned by uid 1000, which is the same as the user running bitbake.
> This may be due to host contamination [host-user-contaminated]
>
> I checked PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT_STYLE is not set globally - few recipes
> set PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT_STYLE to debug-without-src.
>
> Help appreciated
>
> Andreas

I see this also in my builds. The warnings clutter the build output in a
way that makes the warnings mostly useless. Who will spot the one
important new warning in the hundreds of host-user-contaminated ones?
A fresh build of core-image-minimal today gave me 54 of these warnings.
All but one (glibc-locale) complaining on source files.

I checked a few recipes and most of them were not even using a custom
do_install but autotools generated 'make install' with something like
'cp -p src/* dest/' or so.

Even if I know how to do it I think we should not patch upstream sources
to suppress a warning introduced by the downstream build system with
loads of false positives and then have to maintain the patches as
upstream is progressing.

I haven't looked into how one does it but I'm inclined to switch of the
warning globally, e.g. in local.conf.

Max