[OE-core] Patchwork & patch handling improvements

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 15:19:35 UTC 2015

On 11/26/15 16:00, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> I'm also
> trying to ensure that the patch validation is generic enough so it can live in
> OE-Core, and thus we can easily update and refine it over time in line with the
> code itself as well as encourage submitters to use the script on their own
> changes before sending.

This all sounds like an improvement and is therefore a step in the right
direction :-)

A while back I had the idea of "porting" the kernel's "checkpatch.pl" to
The Yocto Project (it was around the same time that I was trying to
float the whole "Maintainers File" idea too, since I was also trying to
re-purpose "get-maintainer.pl" as well). About one minute into that
effort I realized the existing *.bb files were all over the place in
terms of the order of statements and the order of the blocks of
statements. At that time I found one recipe style guide from OE, and
another one from The Yocto Project, each of which described a slightly
different preference. So I asked on the mailing list and quickly
discovered that both groups prefer a different style.

I'm not saying this job isn't worth doing, but I am pointing out there's
the potential for feathers to be ruffled on both sides if someone tries
to produce a definitive style guide for recipe files and then enforces
it in an automated way. Since it is the OpenEmbedded Project's job to
provide the recipes for The Yocto Project, I'm guessing this question
needs to be decided by them? If that sounds reasonable, then maybe The
Yocto Project needs to acquiesce to OE's decision?

Instead of cross-posting, maybe this would be a good email for the new
architecture list (CC'ed)?