[OE-core] Branched for release

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:23:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez
<clopez at igalia.com> wrote:
> On 01/10/15 16:28, Khem Raj wrote:
>> I would also suggest to not use codenames in branches
>> but rather the numbered release. If we want to use codenames for
>> branches then lets drop the numbered release names.
>>

> I suggest using both (codename+release_number).

It would be good to have simple and revealing names like release-X.Y
or branch-point-X.Y for tags etc.
And this would also then benefit rest of projects under YP umbrella if
they were to use same release numbering.
OE is a bit unique then other distribution frameworks in regards that
the user has to interact with sources since
its source based unlike other distro's like fedora and debian-like
which are binary feed based for most of users
and a small subset deals with the build metadata repositories. So it
would help the community at large if there
was simple naming conventions.