[OE-core] Branched for release

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Oct 1 15:42:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-01 at 11:41 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> I agree.
>
> The mix between codenames and version numbers cause a lot of confusion
> for outsiders. We, involved with the project development can handle it
> (even though sometimes I ask myself if one codename is older or newer
> than another) but for outsiders it is deadly confusing.

As I've just replied to Khem, I posted a fairly comprehensive look at
all the possible options quite a while back, the last time people
complained. Basically, we can't win. We have slowly killed off all the
numbers that didn't have a purpose so we have one naming scheme and one
number that corresponds to it.

The only real exception is bitbake, which as tool with its own
release/versions, makes sense.

I'd also highlight that now is not the time to start changing the
release process.