[OE-core] Branched for release

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 01:46:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-10-01 at 17:30 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> I think what Khem means is that any time is time to discuss the
>> release process as this is a community driven project and we must to
>> be open for feedback and revisit our previous concepts.
>
> There is a time and a place for such discussions. I think its clear that
> right now, I'm personally finding the situation we're in rather
> stressful and even getting the release into a shape where it can ship is
> proving difficult.
>
> The last thing I need right now is to go through this discussion again.
> Particularly when people have not gone and read the things I wrote up
> last time this was discussed. I could ask why not, the answer is
> probably because its easier just to ask questions and be unhappy with
> what we have.
>
> I appreciate that what we have today does cause some issues. I also
> realised a while ago that regardless of what solution we pick, there are
> people who are not going to like it. I've talked about that in previous
> mailing list posts to try and explain why we end up where we are today.
> I also don't believe anything has materially changed since we last
> discussed this, some people are just still unhappy. Some people will be
> unhappy regardless.

> I'm actually at a pretty low point with OE and Yocto in general. It eats
> up a huge amount of my time, both work and personally and I have started
> wondering what I actually get out of it other than a shortened life
> expectancy. On the most part I see a lot of complaints about things and
> continual questioning of "why we do X and wouldn't Y be better". I do my
> best to deal with this patiently and each time try and explain why and
> then re-evaluate if a change makes sense or not. When the same things
> repeat time and again, my patience can wear thin though.

believe me you are doing a fine job :) infact I recognise that
maintainership is a thankless job.

> Now, I do realise that there probably are some happy users out there and
> that happier users tend to be quieter than the unhappy ones, at least I
> certainly hope so. As such, I tend to see the worst side of the projects
> all the time. Equally, it can get to you after a while.

No silence does not mean happiness and similarity bringing up issues
does not mean unhappiness, On the contrary It is that I am being
caring enough to help projects adoption in the areas where people
havent heard the name of OE, so its a different perspective and
vouch for the issues that gets a headwind in adoption.

> So, yes, I do believe there is a time and place for discussions and not
> everything should be questioned and discussed at any time. That doesn't
> mean its not a community driven project.
>
> Anyhow, I can't stop any discussion, however my point is I'd much prefer
> to spend my time trying to sort out the release. If others feel
> differently, I will indeed have to spend more time on this instead. I do
> also believe it is too late to change things for this release[1].
>
> [1] Since I will no doubt get asked to explain that, the consequences
> are quite significant when you consider bugzilla version fields,
> autobuilder scripts, release scripts, my own branching scripts and so
> on. The things I haven't thought of worry me even more. Yes, we can in
> theory change anything and we could change this, but its probably a week
> of work shaking out just those changes. Do I want to do that now? No, I
> don't. For example I'm attending ELC-E next week. Do we want me talking
> to people or sitting in a corner trying to un-break such a change?

I think you are right about timing. But on and off this discussion has
come up and incidentally its always during release
I guess because we all try to consume the changes and it comes to fore
anyhow I have opened a tracker bug to follow it up. Let everyone
record the
inputs there, so it can be then considered for next release.