[OE-core] How to find out why my do_compile depends on $MACHINE

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon Oct 5 09:34:11 UTC 2015

I've been puzzling with this for many hours now, but I can't seem to figure
this out.

I have a recipe that doesn't mention MACHINE anywhere, but still the
sstate-cache won't be re-used for other machines, because OE somehow insists
the package does depend on $MACHINE.

The workaround I could find is to put something like this in the recipe:

MACHINE[vardepvalue] = "any"

(Similar stupid hacks like "vardepsexclude" will probably work too, but I'm
not interested in forcing this particular recipe, but I'm trying to figure out
what makes bitbake think it matters)

Since it builds for an FPGA type, the package has
PACKAGE_ARCH="${FPGA_FAMILY}" set, and FGPA_FAMILY is set in local.conf.

When switching machines, "bitbake -S printdiff fpga-image-dyplo-test" reports
that MACHINE changed and that is what caused sstate not beign reused. But the
recipe does not use anything related to $MACHINE at all.

Is there a way to make it tell me WHY it thinks that MACHINE is important to
the recipe?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert