[OE-core] Native patch appears broken on Fedora 21

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Wed Oct 28 23:48:53 UTC 2015

I've been chasing an annoying build failure in a clients u-boot recipe.

One of the patches adds an executable python script to the u-boot tools
directory and runs it as part of the build.

With recent master on a Fedora 20 system, it works.

Recent master on Fedora 21, the script does not end up marked as
executable so build fails.

After much thinking and poking and remembering how this is supposed to
work I get the brilliant idea to copy the patch binary from the F20
machine to the F21 machine. Problem goes away.

Something is weird here, I can't believe this is the only patch in the
system that marks a file executable and runs it, but maybe it is.

Versions of patch.

F20 GNU patch 2.7.1
F21 GNU patch 2.7.5

Looking at the patch changelog didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas what to do about this?

Philip