[OE-core] Building firmware recipe with different toolchain

Logan Buchy logan.buchy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 22:19:21 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I have a board which has both a Cortex-A9 and a Cortex-m0+,  The Cortex-A9
is running the main application with the Linux kernel while the cortex-m0+
is present to handle some real-time control tasks.

Currently, I am building the cortex-m0+ firmware separately and saving the
artifacts to an ftp server.  A bb recipe grabs the correct binary from the
server and incorporates it into the rootfs of the cortex-a9 image.

This works for now, however it makes it a bit more difficult to do
development on the cortex-m0+ firmware.  I am looking at augmenting the
recipe so that it will pull the source and build the firmware.  The
complication is that since it is a completely different architecture, I
will need to use a different toolchain, CFLAGS and complier options.  I am
not even sure if this is possible or where to start.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Logan