[OE-core] Patch merge process

Alexander Kanevskiy kad at kad.name
Thu Sep 10 15:23:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 05:03:25PM +0300, Alexander Kanevskiy wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > Gerrit, despite its good ability to integrate into existing
> infrastructures
> > might be not the best solution for OE, and I must admit, gerrit is not
> the
> > best tool in the world for reviews, as there are limits in it like
> missing
>
> I disagree, we can agree on that :).

ok :)

> > ability to review properly series of patches.
>
> It allows to review series of patches very well, newer versions also
> show chains of reviews in better UI than older versions did.
>
> Worse problem is that such series need to be uploaded as series not as
> individual patches, because gerrit cannot automagically discover such
> dependencies between patches and cherry-pick them to single branch and
> resolve conflicts if there are, but if you push whole series of patches
> it will show it as chain and all works correctly.

might be. I haven't checked latest versions 2.10+, but versions below were
not up to the shape compared to e.g. pull-request workflow in GitHub.

> > However, for people who don't like Gerrit, there is also always a
> > possibility to use GitHub or something similar, like locally hosted
> GitLab
> > if OE don't want to be dependant on external service.
>
> I want to use it to share status of the meta-oe patches with contributors,
> running my own GitLab locally won't help with this.

GitHub's model is to fork repository, do any amount of modification in your
own copy and then open "pull-request" for review where you just specify
source/destination repositories and branches with set of changes.

Gitlab comment was practically to have similar to GitHub workflow, but
instead of public's GitHub service to have instance on openembedded.org
infrastructure, and thus requiring users to register accounts there.

--
br, Alexander Kanevskiy