[OE-core] udev + 60-persistent-storage.rules + IDE

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Sep 16 12:11:41 UTC 2015

Hello!

I just noticed that udev (no longer) creates /dev/disk/by-uuid links for
my boot partition under qemu when booting a whole-disk image
(hdddirect). The device is then /dev/hda, with /dev/hda2 being the root
partition.

systemd's 60-persistent-storage.rules indeed skips the relevant rules
because "hd" is not listed:

KERNEL!="loop*|mmcblk*[0-9]|msblk*[0-9]|mspblk*[0-9]|nvme*|sd*|sr*|vd*|xvd*|bcache*|cciss*|dasd*|ubd*", GOTO="persistent_storage_end"

Adding "hd*" to that line fixes the problem. I'll send patches to
systemd and for OE-core.

I'm a bit puzzled a) that plain-old IDE block devices have never been
matched by 60-persistent-storage.rules (I checked the history) and b)
that this suddenly broke. I'm fairly sure that I had tested that (but I
cannot 100% guarantee that anymore).

Did indeed something change recently that led to /dev/hda?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.