[OE-core] Migrating from Samba 3 to 4

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 16 22:57:11 UTC 2015

A couple years ago, I included Samba 3 in a Yocto (Dylan branch) project,
and got it working. It included a custom smb.conf file, and an added
usermap file. I'm doing a new version of that project using the Yocto Fido
branch, and incorporating Samba 4, whose recipe works differently.

To provide a custom smb.conf, I simply did the usual .bbappend prepending
my own files subdirectory containing the new smb.conf. The new recipe
copies smb.conf explicitly inside a do_install_append() function, so never
looks for mine.

To provide a usermap file, I created a do_install_append() that created
the necessary subdirectories and copied the file. Worked fine.

Neither of those is working now. The final sysroot contains the stock
smb.conf and no usermap. I'm a bitbake near-newbie, so I need some help.
Why wouldn't my do_install_append() be called? Isn't it legal to have one
in the .bb and another in the .bbappend?

And what is the now-accepted method of supplying a custom smb.conf?
Copying it in a do_install_append(), or by running a little script with
ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND? Is the latter how I should be doing both of
these things?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com